We’ve always fed our goats simply, adjusting feedings as we observed the goats and their changing conditions. A friend of ours with beautiful goats provided a summary of good feeding routines:
I. BUCK KIDS
- begin weaning at 8 weeks from birth
- separate kids from mother at night
- take mother’s milk in morning
- wean fully at 10 weeks
II. DOE KIDS (if keeping mother & kids)
- leave doe kids on mother until they naturally wean around 6-7 months.
- milk mother in morning if extra milk is available.
III. BUCKS (when not breeding)
- 1.5 lbs. grain per day
- pasture (rye grass) and hay (bermuda grass…no alfalfa
More coming soon….